Sunday, June 5, 2016

Day 3

Mileage: 70
Total distance: 205

Tonight I'm sleeping at home! It was a pretty short day today so it'll get a pretty short post as well.

Last night there was a massive thunderstorm that rolled in across the lake. I woke up half a dozen times to massive lightning strikes and rolling thunder. Fortunately I stayed dry in the little boathouse and everything simmered down by morning.

I got a pretty late start today and wasn't riding until almost 7:30. I got into mineral shortly before 9, hoping to upload my blog post from last night and get some breakfast. Unfortunately none of the restaurants opened until 11 (including a $5 all you can eat pizza joint! ! ! ) and there was no cell signal. The best I could do was wait around until the local grocery store opened at 9 and chow down a ham and cheese sandwich along with a quart of strawberry ice cream.

The store owner was also kind enough to refill my water bottles with crushed ice! This is the second time in two days I've gotten ice in my water, and it's amazing. In fact, water bottle stops are about the only interesting thing that happened for a long time this morning. I got to fill up at a gas station in Tabscott, a firehouse in Kent's Store, the visitor center in Palmyra and a whole bunch of other places along the way. Today was a sweaty one. I downed just over a gallon and a half of water before I had to go to the bathroom for the first time, that's how much I was losing. I've got to remember to bring something salty tomorrow because if today's ride had been about 30 miles longer I could have easily gotten hyponatremic.

Today was also much hillier than yesterday and my pace decreased a bit accordingly. My saddle soreness didn't improve much today, but on the plus side it didn't get any worse. I burned out my legs a little spending a lot of time standing and pedaling with the pack which is part of the reason I stopped a little early today.

I also knocked out my second trail tradition today. It's not uncommon to see turtles in the middle of the road trying to make their way across. It's even less uncommon to see smooshed turtle shells, because when a car or bike comes, they just hunker down in their shells as if it's going to help them. So one of the traditions is to help a turtle or two across the road as you go. I got my first today.

I knew I was getting close to Charlottesville from my odometer today, but was completely surprised when I shot out onto one of my favorite routes! I ended up riding down the 795, past Morven farms, past president Monroe's plantation and past Monticello, Jefferson's plantation. From there it was only a few miles into town and to the medical school.

I hung out at the med school for most of the afternoon, got to see a few friends and catch a quick nap, as well as ditch some unneeded gear in my locker and use the library computers to tie up some loose ends. When I looked at the weather forecast for tonight, there was a severe thunderstorm warning in effect until 10pm which tipped the scale towards me staying here tonight. My legs can use the rest after today since I've got Afton mountain to climb tomorrow and the Blue Ridge Parkway to conquer. I'll be sleeping in the med student lounge at 8 tonight and heading out early tomorrow morning! G'night!

Random update, because I have the best friends in the whole world! As I was sleeping in the lounge, minding my own business, my friends Katy and Hannah tried to sneak in to leave me breakfast and a note without waking me up. I have no idea how I woke up, because I'm usually a very heavy sleeper, but I'm so happy I did because I got to see them both one more time before I head out! A brief but intense flurry of kindness ensued and I found myself accompanying them back to Katy's old apartment where I'm sleeping on a much, much more comfortable couch, with my clothes in the dryer instead of drip-drying in the med school bathroom. I can't believe how lucky I am to have friends like these guys! 

1 comment:

  1. Be safe and know the CPD Team is cheering for your each day! I'm looking forward to seeing your posts day to day!

    ReplyDelete